Procures and prepares specimens from patients/donors for Laboratory testing. Distributes specimens to appropriate Laboratory section.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
- Obtains specimens from patients in accordance with accepted techniques and procedures, including but not limited to phlebotomy, correct patient identification, dispensing appropriate specimen containers and instructing patients in proper collection of sample submitted for testing.
- Distributes specimens and samples to appropriate Laboratory section following established procedures.
- Assists in the blood donor section (as required) in obtaining correct medical history from blood donors, in screening blood donors for hematocrit, blood pressure, temperature and pulse following established procedure.
- Performs assigned duties related to the Laboratory computer system, including but not limited to inquiry functions, labelling functions and receiving functions.
- Assists technologists in routine duties as directed, including but not limited to assisting with stocking supplies, limited clerical functions and maintenance procedures as defined for the section.
- Ensures correct procedures are followed for all aspects of safety as established in the department, including safe disposal of used needles and lancets using Universal precautions in work practices.
- Works in accordance with standards established by College of American Pathologists, American Association of Blood Banks, Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospitals and other accrediting agencies as applicable.
- Follows all Hospital related policies and procedures.
- Participates in self and others education, Training and Development, as applicable.
Bachelor’s or Associate Degree/Diploma in Medical/Clinical Laboratory Science or LaboratoryTechnology or Nursing as LP/SEN; or completion of Phlebotomy Training program at KFSH&RC is required.
Grade 6: No experience with Bachelor’s, one (1) year of related experience with Associate Degree/Diploma, or two (2) years of full time clinical laboratory experience at a healthcare institute with Phlebotomy Training program is required.
Grade 7: · Four (4) years as Technical Assistant at KFSH&RC. · Average of annual performance appraisal at least (3.5) for the last four (4) years. · Fifty (50) hours of cumulative continued medical education [CME].
Current Registration from country of origin and Saudi Commission for Health Specialties (SCHS) is required.